Teff Carrot Cake
The name behind this creation says it all, The Savvy dietitian. Savina, from @thesavvydietitian is an Accredited Practising Dietitian who spends much of her time comparing products and meals that are perceived to be healthy but contain hidden nasties! Savina demonstrates in a digestible / ‘savvy’ way, how these ‘healthy’ choices are often packed with undesirable ingredients that can have a catastrophic result on the daily calorie count.
Savina places a positive outlook on nutrition and encourages her community to make small adjustments to their everyday that will make each day brighter, happier and lead to living a healthier lifestyle, overall. The ability to be Savvy with your selections and serving sizes is the secret.
Outback Harvest ran into Savina on Instagram during Wholegrain week last month and have been following her journey every since. A combination of tantalising recipes mixed with health tips, food comparisons and a whole lot of fun, she’s definitely worth a follow in the social space!
Savina started experimenting with our Teff over the past weeks and has created an incredibly moist, tasty, irresistible Carrot Cake from our Brown Teff Flour.
A nutrition scientist who clearly knows the science behind a great recipe. We hope you love it!
Teff Carrot Cake
- 3/4 cup Teff flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 3/4 cup oil (Olive or Coconut)
- 3 eggs (Or Vegan alternative)
- 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup steamed mashed Kent pumpkin
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple (well juice drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Spreadable cream cheese
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees (fan forced).
- Line a 20 cm springform round cake pan with nonstick baking paper.
- Combine Teff flour, almond meal, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and clove in a large bowl.
- Combine oil, eggs and honey in a separate bowl. Use a whisk to mix until combined.
- Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir gently until combined.
- Stir in the grated carrot, steamed pumpkin, crushed pineapple and chopped nuts
- Pour mixture into the lined cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Set aside for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst cooling use an electric hand mixer to combine cream cheese and honey. Spread icing over cake once completely cooled .
- Decorate with chopped walnuts.
We’d love you to leave a comment below! Let us know your thoughts..!
If you’d like to be featured as our next Teff Inspired Recipe, feel welcome to email us at email@example.com