Makes 8 slices
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
100g unsalted butter
100g gluten free flour
100g Ivory Teff flour
5-6 tbs cold water as needed
S + P
2 tbs olive oil
200g Butternut pumpkin, 2cm dice
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
1 tbs sage leaves, finely sliced
100g spinach leaves
50g cheddar cheese, grated
50 gms Feta, crumbled
3 large free range eggs, whisked lightly
3 tablespoons crème fraiche
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
S + P to taste
Tomato relish & mixed leaves to serve
1. Pre heat your oven to 180deg on fan bake.
2. In a large bowl, add in your butter, gluten free flour and teff flour. Season well with S + P and mix with your fingertips until well combined.
3. Add in 5-6 tablespoons of cold water, season well and mix with a knife until a rough dough forms.
4. Using your hands, bring it together to form a ball then wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for an hour.
5. Meanwhile, on a baking tray lined with baking paper, add your pumpkin and cover with 1 tbs olive oil.
6. Roast at 80deg for 25 mins or until cooked through. Remove and cool.
7. In a large frying pan, add remaining oil and on a medium heat, sweat down your garlic, leek and sage for 5-7 mins until soft and translucent. Add in your spinach leaves and wilt for a further minute then remove from heat and place into a large pyrex jug.
8. Add to the jug your Feta, grated cheese, eggs, creame fraiche, nutmeg, mix and season well.
9. In between 2 sheets of baking paper both large enough to cover the tart case, roll out your pastry to 1/2cm thick, ensuring to work the edges out to form a rectangle (or circle if you are using a round tart case)
10. In a greased 20cm tart case of your choice, gently lay the pastry over and push into the side walls, ensuring the whole case is covered. Don’t worry if it breaks just patch it up with pastry scraps.
11. Make a baking paper cartouche, place on pastry case and fill with cooking beans or rice and bake in the oven for 10-12 mins.
12. Remove beans and paper and cook for a further 8-10 mins until golden.
13. Remove from oven, pour in your filling and return to the oven to cook for a further 12-15 mins until the filling is almost set but has a slight wobble to it.
14. Remove from oven and leave to cool for a further 10-20 mins and serve with your favorite side salad and relish.